REVIEW: Sephora MicroSmooth Baked Foundation Face Powder


Today's review is going to be on Sephora's MicroSmooth Baked Foundation Face Powder!
Just forewarning, I used this product as more of a setting powder than a stand-alone powder foundation. It's not something that I feel provides a coverage unless I use a lot, so I'm going to be reviewing it as a setting powder.

I'm going to be breaking down my reviews into separate need-to-know categories and then provide my overall review. Some pictures will be scattered in for your viewing pleasure. :D *Just for reference, my skin type is oily most of the time and combination in the winter. I wear shade W2 in L'oreal's True Match Foundation.




Claims: To summarize from the Sephora website, it boasts a flawless, natural, no-makeup finish. It is baked to achieve an "airy texture" that does not get cakey. Coverage is sheer to high, and fine powder blends seamlessly into skin.

Cost: $22 from Sephora. Compared to other high-end brands, a pretty reasonable cost!

Product Amount: 0.24 oz./ 7 g. Seems to be a fairly standard amount of product -- though it appears to be bigger than some of my other powders, it is actually just more shallow than others (compare to L'oreal Infallible Pro-Matte Powder that looks smaller but is 0.31 oz./ 9 g.)

Shades: Mine is the lightest shade -- 05 Porcelain on Sephora's website, but the packaging also says Light on it. It is pink-toned and just a bit too light for me if I were to use as foundation, but for setting, it works. The next shade up was too dark.

There are 8 shades in total. Unfortunately, the shade range is pretty lacking. :/ It definitely caters to medium tan skin tones, as there is one truly fair shade and a couple dark shades.

Heavy swatch of 05 Porcelain so you can get an idea of the shade.
My arm is lighter than my face, so this is a pretty light-colored powder if used heavily.


Pros:

  • Airbrushed, seamless finish
  • Slightly glowy/radiant (without being shimmery)


Cons:

  • Shade range (and shade match for me personally)
  • No oil-control properties for oily skin
  • Doesn't prolong makeup
  • Very sheer coverage if used as only foundation

Bottom line!
Overall, I would recommend this for those with dry to combo skin types but not those with oily skin. It is not ideal to set underneath the eyes or the T-zone if you get oily. For me, this product is less about setting the makeup and more about making the makeup look good. By that I mean it looks beautifully smooth and airbrushed on the skin, BUT it is not super practical if you get greasy throughout the day or are looking for a longwear powder. I definitely look oily throughout the day with this powder. That is why I think dry skin types would love this if you like looking glowy but don't need that oil control that I desperately need. I recognize the claims don't really suit my skin type anyway, so this is a product I will be returning.

Note: When you look very, very closely at the pan, there are micro-shimmers throughout. Personally, I don't see this translating on the face at all.

Let me know if you have tried this product and what you think of it! I would love to hear your thoughts, especially if you use this as a powder foundation by itself. Also leave me thoughts about my post layout and what is good/bad about it -- constructive criticism is welcomed!

Thank you for reading!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW+SWATCHES: Bite Beauty Edgy Neutrals Amuse Bouche Lipsticks